Monday, June 11, 2007

Sit Back, Relax, and Enjoy the Flight!

I'm not a fan of flying. I never have been and I probably never will be. It is, however, something I have had to deal with because I love to travel. I don't remember when I took my first plane ride because I was so young. I've been flying my entire life. Sometimes I think people have fears because they don't try something until later in life like swimming, onions, or skydiving. Flying is not one of those things. It doesn't matter how "used to it" I am, I will never be comfortable on a plane. Sometimes my family makes fun of me because I have mini panic attacks when we hit turbulence. Sure, I know I have a greater chance of being killed in a car accident, but at least I am semi in control of the car. I have absolutely no control over a plane. Apparently, I have control issues. Sadly, as much as I need to deal with my control issues, they are not the point of this entry. Today I read an article on MSNBC that made me feel much better about my fear of flying. Not better as in, "YAY I can't wait to go fly now!", but better in the "I'm not a lunatic after all" sort of way.

Here is how the article started:
"A pilot told nervous passengers travelling with a low-cost Spanish airline that nearly half the seats on their plane were out of use due to a safety problem but it was nothing to worry about, a Spanish newspaper reported. As passengers took their seats on the Lisbon to Madrid flight operated by Vueling Airlines on Sunday they noticed that all but three of the 32 rows on one side of the plane were taped off. The captain told them on the intercom: "We will not be able to use that part of the plane because we have a safety problem with the door at the front. Don't worry, it's only a safety problem". - MSNBC Website June 11, 2007

The article goes on to explain that the "safety problem" was with the eight emergency exits on the plane so they couldn't serve the normal capacity of passengers. Well that's comforting. At least it wasn't anything serious like they were out of peanuts and coke.

No comments: