Thursday, June 19, 2008

Be an Informed Voter!

I love politics and I love the presidential race. It gets more interesting every four years, mainly because I am older and I understand how much the decisions we make in November really will effect my life and the direction of our country. Yesterday, Michelle Obama was on The View. I didn't get to see it, but I did catch some snippets on some of the news stations last night (FOX and MSNBC). I began thinking that I didn't know that much about Michelle Obama or Cindy McCain. Both candidates have great websites that are easy to navigate (thank goodness!) so I took a tour of both and read up on the potential first ladies. They will play just as vital of a role as the president. Plus, I believe you can learn a lot about a person by their spouse. Both have impressive resumes and have been involved with some great causes. Things you may not know about both women:
  • Michelle Obama went to Harvard Law School
  • Cindy McCain founded and ran the American Voluntary Medical Team which emergency medical and surgical care to underprivileged children across the world
  • Michelle Obama is the founding executive of Public Allies - Chicago which is a leadership training program
  • Cindy McCain is on the board of Operation Smile which helps repair facial deformities to children around the world
  • Michelle Obama served as Vice President of Community and External at the University of Chicago Medical Center
  • Cindy McCain has led 55 medical missions across the world. One of them led to the adoption of her 16 year old daughter, Bridget.

I don't want to just "vote". I want my vote to really mean something and for that to happen I need to know why I like the candidate I do. So many people vote because they don't like someone else or they are a democrat or republican. I want to be able to say why I am voting for the candidate I am and what policies I do not agree with from the candidate I do not vote for. Both websites have a clear outline of the issues and the candidates stance and solution. I encourage everyone to visit both sites and educate yourself!

http://www.johnmccain.com/

http://www.barackobama.com/index.php

Over the course of the next few months I will be posting policies from both candidates and solutions to current problems facing our country. I'll still post silly pictures of Kody and me. Don't worry, I won't become too grown up too fast...

No comments: