Friday, September 5, 2008

Hip injuries = No fun

The past few days have been kind of rough. Tuesday evening after I finished working out I noticed that I was having a really strange, constant pain in my left hip area. I thought for sure it would be gone by Wednesday, but it has persisted. Kody told me it might my sciatic nerve. Wednesday I looked up sciatic nerve and all the websites said it was caused by a herniated disc and could be repaired by OPEN BACK SURGERY. Of course I started freaking out in my head. The pain was horrendous though. I could hardly sit without my left leg cramping up and throbbing.

I talked to my dad, who is an orthopedic surgeon, and he told me immediately to quit all activity and rest. I was told to either lay down or walk. No prolonged sitting or standing. Of course, I sit at work all day so the past three days I have been walking laps around our office every half hour. Anyway, last night he told me it could be a stress fracture in my hip, herniated disc or a pulled muscle. I'm pulling for the pulled muscle. Every day it has felt better so I'm telling myself I'll be back to normal soon. Running and any kind of high impact activity is out indefinitely. This is where it gets bad. I love running. I love working out. I hate being told to "rest". It is not in my nature to rest. I can hardly go one day without doing something active. I need to move and sweat. This is probably why I am hurt...overuse. I'm sick, I know. Monday was supposed to be my first official day of training for the Route 66 half marathon in Tulsa. Right now, it looks like that half marathon is not going to happen. I'm pretty upset about it. I know it may sound silly, but if you know me you understand my dilemma. I'm trying to be good because if in fact it is a stress fracture I could really injure myself by doing too much too soon.

It looks like the next few weeks I'll be in the pool or on the elliptical. No weights, no running, no CrossFit. Please pray for a pulled muscle...my sanity and Kody's depend on it.

3 comments:

Vanessa said...

I really hate that you are having pain. However, your dad does a pretty good back surgery. I'm living proof of that!! Hopefully mine will stay strong so I can have my baby naturally. Really though - your dad is amazing! I really hope your pain is temporary and you will recover soon.

Anonymous said...

See I long for the day that someone tells me to rest! Both of my hips have been hurting lately so I sort of know how you feel. I think I have arthritis...

Michael and Katie said...

Oh Ginny, I know how bad it is when you can't workout! My sanity used to depend on it. There were days when my mom would tell me to go run because I was in a bad mood and running would fix it. Gotta love those endorphins. Keep us updated on the injury. We are hoping for the best!