Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Mommy Wars

I'm looking forward to seeing Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin speak at the RNC tonight. It has really made me sad and angry how vicious the media has been towards her family. If they want to attack her policies and her record, I can understand that. However, it is clear to me and I think to most of the country, that attacking her children and the choices they make is crossing the line. I believe you can tell a lot about a parent by how respectful their children are and the choices they make, but children are influenced by a lot more than just their parents. Parents are supposed to do as well as they can, but are they expected to be held responsible for every choice their child makes? Maybe they should be to a certain extent, I don't know, I'm not a parent yet. I do know, however, that a lot goes on that parents never find out about or ever have a clue about. Most parents would probably be shocked to know everything their children did or said. I think that is one of the scariest things about becoming a parent someday. It is unrealistic to think that good parent's children won't make mistakes. Goodness knows that I did and I have fantastic parents. Anyway, I am anxious to hear Sarah Palin speak tonight about something other than her seventeen year old pregnant daughter. Here is an article with an interesting view point on the whole thing. Read and ponder. Our society as a whole is so judgemental. I wish we could all just step back and snap out of it already!

http://www.newsweek.com/id/156923

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What would your mom be shocked that you did?? :) It would take a lot to shock her!

Vanessa said...

I couldn't agree with you more. I am excited to hear her speak also. I was glad to hear McCain, Obama, and Biden all stand up and say that her family should be off limits. Atleast they all agree on something.