Friday, September 12, 2008

My Life as a Med School Wife

Boy has my life done a 180 since Kody started medical school. Time goes by faster, I spend a lot "quality time" with myself and I can pronounce big words that the general population doesn't understand. As the wife of a medical student, intern or resident you play a lot of different roles. Here are a few of mine that deserve a nomination from the academy:

  • Comedian - This kind of life demands a sense of humor. If not, you are sunk.
  • Gumby - Be flexible, even if it hurts.
  • Encourager - Phrases like "Don't worry" and "You'll do better next time" have to be sincere! Medical students can sniff out sarcasm and insincerity like a bloodhound.
  • Widowed Woman - Waking up at midnight to find your husband still not home and weekends alone with the dog become all to common during rotations. If you don't enjoy time to yourself, please reconsider your choice of mate immediately!
  • Research Assistant - In my case, I am the head honcho of research, but that is because I love it. You will be required to do some digging on life after medical school. Students are too busy being in school to think about the next day, let along preparing for residency!
  • Share Bear - When your spouse actually gets time off, don't expect most of it to be spent with you. You have to share with family and friends who are also in the picture. If you want to be alone, schedule a vacation...in ten years.
  • Superwoman - This one pretty much sums it up. If you can't be strong, independent and look amazing in spandex then head for the exit.

I've said it before, my experience so far has been great, but that doesn't mean it has been easy. Third year is very different from the first two. Every month is different. You can't plan in advance for anything (boo!). I've met a lot of first year spouses over the last week with SAA and it sounds like most of them are having a hard time adjusting to the life. It gets better with time. It is a cool life. It's kind of fun to say "Kody is at the hospital observing a hip surgery tonight". I feel privileged to be a part of his success as a physician. I like to say if it wasn't for me he wouldn't make it, but that is kind of harsh...he could do it without me...maybe.

Seriously...will this day ever end? It just keeps dragging and dragging and dragging.....

3 comments:

Daniel & Zoe's Mommy said...

I know it's hard but you guys are making it through it amazingly!! :)

Tell Kody that Michael and I are so proud of him (and you too for being so strong!)

:)

Anonymous said...

You are such a great wife! I wish you were my wife...oh wait, that was awkward. haha

Dion said...

Ginny - Hey I found your blog through Sara R.'s. Sounds like 3rd year is treating you well. Intern year is, well... not like 3rd year! We're in Georgia, now. Life after med school is a trip!